Community Learning Exchange

Below is a video created at the KLCC/Community Learning Exchange gathering in Park City, UT October 1-4, 2010.

People involved with the Kellogg Leadership for Community Change initiative share stories of their work and thank the Kellogg Foundation for their support over the years.

In this discussion, please post your own story of gratitude to the Kellogg Foundation for their support of the Collective Leadership work.  Give specific examples when possible.

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our communities in Wisconsin have focused on crossing boundaries, geographical, organizational, gender and those of age to name a few. I know that statistics say that 20% of our children are in poverty and that most of our area have only a high school education at best. As a result, there has been an intentional effort to cultivate leadership among at risk youth. These youth have the cards stacked against them. One youth lives with his grandmother in a one room hotel room and sporadically see his mother and the father is absent. Another has a home few of us would consider habitable. Their future is bleak and through the Kellogg Foundation we have been able to increase the protective factors among these youth, provide positve adult interactions, and increase the self esteem of these students. The result has been amazing. I have observed youth who had not been expected to succeed go onto college, start leadership programs, head up initiatives, etc. This is due to the resources provided by the Kellogg Foundation. Kudos to you Kellogg for going out on a limb with this idea of leadership! Dale, Kwesi, Karma and Steve provided tremendous support on our journey with collective leadership. Frank Taylor was also a champion who never gave up belief in this work. Further, the connection with other sites and fellows at the cross community gatherings and the community learning exchanges have provided inspiration in our local work. We are going strong and will continue. Recently, in Wisconsin we have had three new communities join New Paradigm Partners. Collective leadership has been our way of approaching our work. Therefore, Luck, Prairie Farm and Northwood will be the next communities where this work and these strategies will be replicated. Thank you, sherry
I am so grateful to the Kellogg Foundation for supporting social change work and introducing collective leadership as a way to open up space for people from different social, racial, economical and cultural backgrounds. I found that the young people involved will forever be changed as they realized they had a voice, were equal partners and that they could make a difference.
This is an amazing Video, but there is so much more to thank Kellogg for! I would like to say thank you to the Kellogg foundation for providing the Lummi CEDAR Project with the resources to help make positive change in our community! I would especially like to thank the Chris Kwak for sharing her knowledge, expertise, and her Love with the Lummi Nation, our hands go up to you in the highest.

From the bottom of our hearts Hy’shqe (thank you)

This Picture reflects our deepest gratitude, the Lummi way of saying Thank you!
I want to extend my deepest gratitude for the Kellogg Foundation for their tremendous support of our community, our organization, and our fellows over the last several years. The support from Kellogg has allowed our fellowship to make some lasting changes in our community, but most importantly, the KLCC experience has had a major impact on the lives of our fellows. In just the last few years, I have been able to see a significant, tangible increase in the skills and abilities of the youth involved in our program in Denver. Furthermore, I believe that the seeds planted by the KLCC initiative in our youth will continue to grow and blossom long into the future. I believe this to be the the most important impact that was made by KLCC at Mi Casa, which will be evidenced for many years by college degrees, successful careers, and happy lives. Strengthening the leaders of tomorrow is an outcome that will affect each of us someday, and we are all lucky that organizations like the W.K. Kellogg foundation have invested in those leaders and therefore the future of us all.
Someone once asked what happens to a dream deferred?, and across the nation in far too many communities we have borne witness of the evidence; and it has blemished the hope & development of communities. Kellogg Foundation is to be highly esteemed for their human & financial Investment in this 'dynamic happening' known as KLCC/Community Learning Exchange that has specifically changed the dream question to a radiant profound statement of: Life begins to Change and Communities Grow, from this application of Collective Leadership and Gracious space which are the value line for all KLCC/Community Learning Exchange work. The experience has begun and there is room for and desire to have others join in this quality of life changing gift from Kellogg Foundation. Thank You, Thank You, Forward Ever! Jim Anderson
Someone once asked what happens to a dream deferred?, and across the nation in far too many communities we have borne witness of the evidence; and it has blemished the hope & development of communities. Kellogg Foundation is to be highly esteemed for their human & financial Investment in this 'dynamic happening' known as KLCC/Community Learning Exchange that has specifically changed the dream question to a radiant profound statement of: Life begins to Change and Communities Grow, from this application of Collective Leadership and Gracious space which are the value line for all KLCC/Community Learning Exchange work. The experience has begun and there is room for and desire to have others join in this quality of life changing gift from Kellogg Foundation. Thank You, Thank You, Forward Ever! Jim Anderson
Thank you to the W.K. Kellogg Foundation for your vision and your commitment to community leadership. I remember when we began and debated whether we should call it collective or collaborative leadership because collective was so new we thought people would misunderstand. And here we are, cutting the edge because of the resources and faith you have provided.

Being here in Park City with all of the KLCC family members engaged in how we can collectively make the Community Learning Exchange a network that helps everyone advance their local work and spread the movement has been remarkable. Seeing how this work has grown and become part of people's lives is very inspiring to me. We have faces that were with us from the very beginning and many new ones including a couple of very amazing 14 year old participants who are leading us in good ways. The real on the ground impacts are growing and expanding beyond our original family members.

Thanking a few is always risky when so many have been there helping us. in the beginning I remember Rick Foster and Gail Mclure supporting what Frank Taylor called "the grand experiment." I remember Valorie Johnson's early instruction in how to do a site visit with loving eyes to see the beauty that exists behind whatever the physical state presents. I remember Ali challenging us from the beginning to be our best and to be clear about our messages and our products. I hope she will love the Collective Leadership Story Book. I remember Terri Behrens leading a different kind of evaluation that would keep us focused on learning and improving as we did the work

When Chris Kwak took the lead for Session II, she fought from the beginning for the resources to support the work and she also challenged us to focus on what would come out of this work that had real and tangible benefits. She was our critical friend - believing in us and asking the tough questions.

As we move into the CLE, I deeply appreciate that Ali and Chris championed this community and that the Foundation leadership team supported the work of the Community Learning Exchange and challenged us to spread it.

This work has transformed me and my organization and we are now actively engaged in spreading it as far as we can While I don't always practice collective leadership, when I come back to it and try again, I am a better person and a better leader. thank you for the honor and the opportunity to be part of this work.
I am very thankful for the support that the Kellogg foundation has given to the community of Benton Harbor, the Boys & Girls Club of Benton Harbor and our members over the years. I am also thankful for the wonderful support and encouragement that was given to me by Kris Kwak. She never stopped believing in me and that support helped me to transition from a employee to a professional. Kris always exhibited such class and grace even through her personal difficulties, that example, of an individual giving of themselves at a time when she needed so much, I will never forget. I LOVE YOU GIRL, LIJI
I too, am very grateful to the Kellogg Foundation and the people there that have "gone to bat" for us for the Kellogg Leadership for Community Change (KLCC) Session II: Advancing just communities through youth and adult partnerships. KLCC has changed the way I go about community work and community organizing, and also the way I communicate with family and friends. The ripple effects go beyond Lummi Nation and the Lummi CEDAR Project 501c3.

I mentioned at the Utah Community Learning Exchange (CLE) how my daughter asked me, at age 7, if I wanted to save the world. I answered, "Yes," and she said, "Good, we can be on the same team to save the world." With the KLCC/CLE gatherings, I have the inspiration and belief that I can make a difference in my community, and yes, maybe even change or save the world. Let's go Team!!! Hy'shqe (thank you) to Chris Kwak and the other fearless leaders (Dale, Elayne, Zara, Karma, Steve, Saroeum) that helped the Lummi CEDAR Project along our way. Love, SHASTA
I am not sure there was ever a clear and collective vision about what KLCC was really all about and what the outcomes should be---But as a foundation you can be SURE that the lives of many and the communities of all involved have been changed for the better. Once you have experienced the power of collective leadership and the value of bring all of the voices to the table, as an individual you can't go back and you don't want to be involved with organizations that are not at least open to listening to the concept. Thank you for the faith you have in communities and for the faith you have in stepping out there with and for youth. Your gift has already started to spread far beyond the fellows of your 11 sites. Congrats!!! Elayne
I love the spirit, the vision, and the courage.... this team brings, i.e. the foundation, the communities and the people. thanks for sharing of yourselves.

adios,
miguel

RSS

© 2018   Created by steve stapleton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service